So, Heidi does this thing and I thought I’d join her this month. Since I love my crock pot, ya know.
This is a recipe from the book that came with my crock pot (that was a wedding gift nearly ten years ago.) So, it’s not an original recipe. But it is a delicious recipe. I’ve made it so often in times past that the cookbook’s binding has broken and the book lies flat at this page. 🙂
Chicken Delicious from Crock-Pot Slow Cooker Cuisine by Rival (1995.)
- 4 to 6 whole chicken breasts, boned and halved
- lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- celery salt
- 1 can (10.75 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can (10.74 oz) condensed cream of celery soup
- 1/3 cup dry sherry or white wine
- grated Parmesan cheese
- fluffy rice
- Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry
- Season with lemon juice, salt, pepper, celery salt, and paprika.
- Place in Crock Pot.
- In medium bowl, mix mushroom and celery soups with sherry.
- Pour over chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours, or on High for 4 to 5 hours.
- Serve chicken and sauce over hot fluffy rice.
I usually make this with bone-in chicken (thighs, breasts, etc.) and it works just fine. Cooking it so long makes the chicken very tender, as in falling apart, though; you have to watch out for those bones.
I substitute cream of chicken soup, as The Bull does not like mushrooms.
I also substitute a basic white sauce for one of the cans of soup. There is too much sodium in canned soup, and this makes it a little less expensive too. And since it cooks for so long, I don’t make the sauce first. I just add the flour and milk to the canned soup and let the crock pot cook it down.
If I’m out of sherry I’ll just use water, or chicken broth.
And, I’ve never been able to make fluffy rice. So we have sticky rice. 🙂