This is my entry in Heidi’si Blogstyle Iron Chef Challenge! Join us over there, she’ll be picking winners this week. Try new recipes and vote on your favorites, what’s not to like about that?
This is actually my second choice for recipe, since SOMEONE posted a recipe that was identical to the one I planned to post . . . before I was able to link up. 😉 That’s life, huh? But that’s ok, because this is one of our all-time favorites.
Bubble And Squeak (Which is named for the sounds it makes during and after dinner. 😀 )
1/2 pound bacon, diced OR crumbled bulk sausage OR sliced link sausage
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
8 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
1/2 head green cabbage, shredded
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt
- Fry the bacon or sausage over medium heat until slightly cooked; drain off (and reserve) all but about 2 Tablespoons of fat.
- Add onions and potatoes on top of bacon or sausage. Add a little bit of water; cover and lower heat. Simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are almost soft. Use a big spatula to turn the potatoes twice while cooking, trying to get the potatoes all browned and crispy. If needed, add a little of the reserved fat and more water to keep the potatoes moist.
- Add cabbage and simmer, covered, another 5 to 10 minutes; less time if you like crisper cabbage, more time if you like it soft.
- Add pepper and salt; use the spatula to turn and mix the cabbage in; serve.
- Try not to eat it all in one sitting!